- Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure how to explain why I wrote Miki...maybe if I list what it does, and what does not do, you will be able to figure out if it's something you would like to use.
And now, I present:Miki: Maulik's Wiki :-P
Things That Miki Does:
- Helps you maintain a consistent look and feel for your website.
- The content is broken up into a header, menu, body, and footer.
- Miki knows to add the header, footer and menu to every body that you create.
- Much of the layout is done using CSS.
- Miki keeps your content in flat files called .miki files.
- Miki does not use a database, you should never fear losing your data in some un-parseable, database-specific file.
- It maintains one set of pages in the miki dir.
- These should be pages that are non-blog content. Such as a howto on hunting moles.
- Weblog entries are maintained as a different set of pages in the weblog dir.
- From this directory, Miki will display the few most recent entries on your front page.
- Miki allows users to leave comments without the hassle of logging in.
- Miki can be used to format all your content and generate static webpages.
- Great if you're not allowed to run CGI on in your ISP/university webspace.
- Miki allows content to be in HTML but has special macros to help you format your content quickly.
- For example, to create a link, you can simply write:
[ Pictures.miki ]
and Miki knows to convert it to:
<a href="http://maulik.freeshell.net/Miki.pl?page=Pictures.miki/"> Pictures </a>
Which makes sure you get one of these:
Things That Miki Does Not Do
- It does not provide a pretty web interface for you to login and update from the net.
- As I said before, there is no use of a database.
- I don't have enough content to fill a database, and neither should you!
- Plus, if you're lucky enough to be allowed to run CGI scripts, asking for the use of a database is just pushing it.
- Plus editing text files is so easy!
- Download the tarball here
- This is definitely a work-in-progress, but I am using it to maintain my personal blog. So far I am liking it! There are no ads, no hassle, I can maintain webpages besides my blog and I have no fear of my site mysteriously disappearing! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.